Welcome to Manchester – if it’s your first time here then I guess you are pretty busy finding out what you like & dislike about the city. I can assure you it doesn’t rain ALL the time (though a waterproof and wellies can be pretty handy!)
Manchester has a reputation as a party city and there is certainly plenty to keep you entertained! To make the best of your time at university you need to work hard and play hard. I don’t just mean study hard – you need to get involved in volunteering, clubs, societies and get work experience. A degree on its own is simply is not enough to get a good job and it’s never to early to start.
Your Career Timeline
- Go to Freshers Fair – join a society and get involved.
- Run out of cash by week 3 – get a part-time job.
- Find out if you can do the Manchester Leadership Programme or a Career Management Skills module.
Second and Other Pre-Final Years:
- Develop a social conscience and do some volunteering.
- Your mates are discussing their summer placement and gap year plans – don’t get left out!
- Look at your CV in despair and get yourself along to your Careers Service for help.
Final Years and Postgrads
- Start finalising your plans for life after graduation.
- Attend talks and events and meet recruiters and postgrad tutors at fairs.
- Planning to stay in Manchester? Find out about fantastic internships, jobs and further study opportunities in the area.
- Your CV looks great and you get contacted for interviews.
- Your Careers Service helps you with interview and assessment centre tips.
Start planning your next step!