The novelty of mince pies and mulled wine only lasts so long, when you get bored try these 5 things to pass the time.
1. Talk to friends and family about their jobs.
Lets face it you are going to have to make polite conversation with your relatives so you might as well make it work for you!
Ask them about:
- What their job involves on a day to day basis.
- What the best and worst things are.
- How they got to where they are now.
- What skills and attributes they think are needed in that role .
So there you are – a ready made intelligent conversation with Aunty Mabel that will impress your family! We call it networking and even if no-one you know does anything you fancy you can start building up a picture of what jobs really involve and why people like them – it will help you to assess other options you may consider later.
2. Hit the internet!
Yes ok after facebook – try prospects planner.
Think of it as the alternative Christmas quiz – answer the questions and find out what job you might be suited to. Follow up by reading about the suggested occupations and consider whether it could be something you would like.
3. Consider what is important to you in life?
Make a list of things you want out of a job, and things you definitely don’t want to do.
- Would you be happy working away from home a lot?
- Do you mind working long and possibly antisocial hours?
- Do you want to work in a team?
- Would you be happy presenting your ideas to groups of people?
- Is money the only thing that is important to you?
- Do you want to do something with a social conscience?
4. Think realistically about what you intend to do after you graduate.
- Are you planning on staying in Manchester?
How will you support yourself?
Do you know about options in the local area?
- Are you planning to go back home
Do you know what options are available? Big cities and rural locations have their own opportunities and benefits but they may not fit with your plans.
- Are you planning on taking a gap year travelling ?
What benefit do you feel this offers you? You are going to have to sell it on your CV when you apply for a job!
Have you considered what you will do when you get back?
Will you be applying for graduate schemes while you are away?
5. Ring us!
We are only closed 24 Dec – 3rd Jan so if you have questions you can give us a ring or book a time with one of our consultants for a telephone guidance appointment.
Your family will be so impressed you are taking your career seriously!