Each year we hear from students who are invited to interview with some impressive big name companies, but miss out on their interview dates because they take too long to think about it.
- Check your email and voice mail regularly, at least once a day.
- If you are given a choice of times, locations or dates, book one immediately.
- If you can’t make any of them ring the company immediately and tell them why not, but it better be a good excuse like an exam!
The slots will book up with other candidates who are sure about their commitment to this company very fast. It is possible they may invite more people than there are slots – there will always be some who don’t bother or have had a better offer.
So think carefully about your priorities:
- Is playing football that afternoon worth giving up that job for?
- Can you miss a lecture or tutorial? (It’s fairly likley that on balance you will be able to negociate something with your school so don’t wait a week while you figure it out!)
- Can you change a shift at your part time job?
At the end of the day how much do you want to work for company X? What is your future worth to you?
It’s tough out there but this is nothing new, companies simply don’t have time and money to waste waiting around to fit in around potential employees. There are plenty of other candidates out there so don’t get left behind in the race!